What does Google really knows about you?
In our previous post, we showed you how to see what Facebook knows about you – but what about Google? Find out by using the guide we have made for you:
To find out what Google knows about you, follow these steps:
- Open a browser
- Go to https://google.com/takeout.
- If you are not logged in, Google will tell you – or you can verify that you are logged in with the Google account you expected (top left corner):
- You now see a page where you have to choose the Google services you wish to export data from. I chose them all – but if you use Google Drive or Google Photos a lot you must be aware that all files will be downloaded and this affects the size of the file you get in the end.
Press Next to move forward
- Here you can control what data you want delivered – I just chose the default settings:
- This can take some time so now you have to wait a little (it took 5 minutes with me, but it depends on how much data you have).
- Google sends you an e-mail (if you used the default settings in step 5 – when the other one comes, click on the ”Download archive” button
- You will now see an overview of the archives you have created and a download link for each of them:
Click on the download link and download the file to your computer. Unpack the file to a local folder.
- Pak filen ud i en lokal folder:
- Open index.html in your browser and you will see an overview of the data that is in your export:
- If you click on ”My activity” a small sub-menu will appear on the page:
Each menu can be unfolded and show a link with details. Here is a couple of examples from mine:
- Under “My activity-> Ads” I can see all the pages I have visited and where there are Google Ads:
- Under “My activity -> Search” I can see all the Google search I have made and what link I clicked on (in my case, it is appx. 25.000 data subjects):
- Under “My activity -> Chrome” I can see that Google saves all the URL’s I have visited.
There are definitely other interesting things I could have mentioned. Use Comments or write to us via firstname.lastname@example.org